Dec 20, 2010

On Culture

Last week I was engaged in a rather lengthy conversation with long time TCK supporter and close band friend, Rob Hillstead about the subject of culture. Specifically about the role of government sponsorship of the arts. Historically I've benefited a couple times directly from government sponsored arts (as in I've been paid by the government to make my art) and have benefited indirectly all my life. I think it's a great thing.

At the beginning of the conversation I shared an anecdote of a fellow musician who felt that music should not become dependent on this kind of funding. Our mutual love of debate sparked, we immediately drew a line in the sand and went at it. I admit fully to losing that debate... and really rather quickly. I've always found it hard to debate a side I don't agree with - not impossible but hard.

But the benefit of the debate was that it eventually turned into a discussion about culture and how it develops. Considering Canada is a very young country as a name, and what culture was here historically was pretty systematically wiped out for a good 300-400 years. So we're stuck trying to rebuild an identity and reconcile the negative history between the historical protectors of our culture and the modern offspring of the folk that wiped it out. Add to the trouble a certain cultural bohemith within 100km of 90% of the population and the fact that we have our own flag in a style that genuinely sticks out of the crowd starts to look like another wonder of the world.

But it's left me considering The Criminal Kid's place in the Canadian cultural story. I can't be so arrogant to think that we're going to define any part of the cultural story, but it seems like something we should consider. We're all really proud to be Canadian, and in our own ways sport it. From CFL football flags in the jam space to maple leaf tattoos, we've got it in us. But does it show up in our sound?

It's hard to say. I know that we do many of the things I think are essential to being a part of a culture :

- Engage in your culture - we listen to Canadian music, watch Canadian TV and do Canadian things. It only stands to reason that we soak up some of what that Canadian culture is. And sometimes we DON'T do Canadian things ... because we've done them and made our own decisions. There are no hockey players in this band.

- To thine own self be true - We do what works for us. That's not to say we're not considering what the listener is thinking, but we're doing it in our own way. Not because we're trying to emulate anyone or fit any particular mold.

- Use the culture you engage in - this fly's completely in the face of that last point. Because so often we use something we already know as a reference point for what we want to do. We've never ripped off a riff, but we've had part of a song together, played another song that we've liked, melded the two and - boom... something else. I like to think of influences as muses, not teachers. The bass line from Beautiful Dream is influenced by the bass at the start of Jenny Was A Friend of Mine by The Killers. Huh? Yeah.

- Know the borders - This one is hard and one that I have never really roped in. If you want to contribute to a culture, it's pretty pivotal that you know what culture you're really a part of and what you want to be a part of and actively engage that culture within those parameters. Epic Fail on my part. With a great deal of my influences coming from the US and UK, my Canadian influences aren't non-existent, but they aren't as prominent as perhaps they could be. Something I need to work on for sure. CBC Radio 3 has been my friend in this fight the past couple years (Government sponsored!). It doesn't mean I like EVERYTHING that's there, it just means I try and find things I like there first.

I guess at the end of the essay it really just suffices to say that by occasionally pondering your place in culture as an artist of any stripe is a honest, fun and important thought exercise. It can never hurt to have the conversation and you will certainly walk away more enlightened about the world around you and the part you play in making it better.

Peace!

Jeremy

No comments :

Post a Comment